Blackwood Golf Club, considered the most picturesque course in the Adelaide Hills, is located in Cherry Gardens. We’re accessible from all directions and only 7 minutes from the Blackwood roundabout or 15 minutes from the Tollgate. We’re a members’ golf club that warmly welcomes visitors. Blackwood Golf Club has a proud history and we will be celebrating our 90th birthday in 2020.
There are so many aspects of Blackwood Golf Club that make it special. Here are some of them:
- Friendly, welcoming and inclusive members.
- A well-established course in a peaceful bushland setting where our wildlife enjoy watching the golf – kangaroos, koalas and kookaburras to name a few.
- Beautiful fairways and greens framed by magnificent trees and foliage. Our own water supply enables our hardworking ground staff to maintain the course in excellent condition year round.
- Carefully sited bunkers and water hazards that can be “taken on” or avoided and add beauty to the course.
- Extensive practice facilities including 2 putting greens, 2 driving ranges (one synthetic grass), and a 90m pitching area with a green and 2 bunkers.
- A comfortable two-storey Clubhouse with stunning views over the course is open 7 days a week for a drink and/or a meal after your round.
- Opportunities to play golf competitively and/or socially including Twilight golf in summer.
- Some of the best teaching professionals in South Australia including Head Professional Matthew Dent (past winner of PGA Professional of the Year) and Teaching Professional Troy Lane named 5 times SA Teacher of the Year.
- A strong commitment to introducing players of all ages to golf through our Get Into Golf (formerly known as Give Golf a Go) programs for men and women. Many of our current members have found this the ideal way to get in to golf.
- A vibrant Junior program – Blackwood Golf Club is a MyGolf centre and graduates are encouraged to make the most of our current Junior membership offer – $100 for children under 16 years of age.
- Flexible fees – we have a range of membership choices to cater for different needs and easy payment options for members wishing to spread their subscription payments.
- The Club Advantage Card gives 5, 6 and 7 day members at BGC the opportunity to play 3 free rounds of golf at 5 other Adelaide golf clubs every year valued at up to $750.
- Reciprocal arrangements with Loxton and Millicent and over 50 private clubs in other states give our 5, 6 and 7 day members the chance to enjoy complimentary golf or golf at reduced prices in some beautiful spots throughout Australia and overseas.
- Excellent sponsorship opportunities.
History of Blackwood Golf Club
A general public meeting was held in the Parish Hall, Blackwood on 12th May 1930 when it was resolved that a golf club be formed in the District and that it would be called the Blackwood Golf Club. Mr. Lachlan McTaggart offered a 10-year lease on a section of his property about 1.5 kms south of Blackwood and a legal arrangement for a peppercorn lease was drawn up and the Club was charged 1 shilling per year rental.
McTaggart’s course was closed in 1959 and the club moved to the National Park, Belair for the start of the 1960 season, but it was apparent that it was only on a temporary basis, and that other land would have to be purchased. On 6th May 1961, £300 was paid as a deposit for 100 acres at Cherry Gardens, purchased from Mr E Sanders for £7500. This is the home of the current course.
In 1986 Blackwood was the first South Australian golf club to admit a woman, in fact two women, as full members and in 2001 women were permitted for the first time to play in the field on Saturdays. The course has always been a top priority and the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st saw a complete revamp of the back nine including three new holes, major extensions to the clubhouse and increased provision for parking.
Today the Club is considered the most picturesque in the Adelaide Hills. Its warm and friendly atmosphere, beautiful fairways and greens framed with magnificent trees and foliage makes for a conducive environment for golfing and social interactions. Blackwood Golf Club has always been, and still is, a place ‘Where Challenge and Friendship Meet’.